Reports to: Controller
Date: July 2021
Good books brought to life by excellent teachers help learners understand and thrive in the world around them. That is the idea behind CODE. CODE takes a comprehensive approach to programming, working with teacher educators, teachers, librarians, writers, and publishers to develop and sustain literate environment. CODE works in partnership with national and local governments, local implementing partners and in-country experts as well as with international experts.
CODE is currently seeking a Program Accountant in support of new projects and programs being implemented. The ideal candidate must be well organized, able to meet deadlines and must enjoy the challenges of working in a small office that implements a diversity of programs. The Program Accountant will be responsible for financial monitoring and quality assurance pertaining to the expenses in CODE’s projects. Working directly with program managers and their assigned projects, the Program Accountant will oversee all financial aspects of the projects including budget preparation, financial analysis and preparation of financial reports.
The Program Accountant also supports the accounting function to ensure that month-end and year-end processes are completed in a timely manner and provides support for colleagues within the Finance and Administration Department. The responsibilities of the position include processing financial transactions and special projects such as management reports. The Program Accountant assists and provides support to the Controller in maintaining operations of the accounting, reporting and administrative functions of the organization.
- Working towards a professional accounting designation or possession of a Bachelor of Commerce degree or equivalent with a specialization in Accounting/Finance and relevant work
The position requires a minimum of three (3) years of experience working in an accounting/finance department, preferably in various accounting capacities. Relevant experience would include the following:
- Experience in setting up and maintaining accounting software such as Adagio, Quickbooks, Sage 300 (ACCPAC), Sage 50 (Simply Accounting), or other small to medium size organization accounting software is an
- Experience in project accounting an
- Experience with Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Payroll
- Demonstrated experience and/or understanding of non-profit organizations
- International development experience preferred
- Willingness and ability to travel in providing financial monitoring, training and support to implementing partner
Preferred Skills and Attributes
- Effective organizational
- High attention to detail and a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time
- Analysis and problem-solving
- Propensity to adapt well to change.
- Excellent interpersonal
- Strong communication skills both written and
- Bilingualism (French/English) is an asset. Proficiency in other languages such as Portuguese would be an asset but is not a requirement.
- Knowledge of not-for-profit accounting standards and charity
- In-depth understanding of accounting
- Advanced knowledge of all aspects of financial analysis, accounting and financial
- Aptitude to clearly explain financial concepts to program staff and
- Intermediate to advanced experience in MS Office Suite, particularly
- Capacity to work effectively both independently and within a team
- Self-motivated and results-oriented, with drive and
- Willingness to
Deadline for applications: Friday, July 30, 2021 by 4 p.m. Eastern. Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to: https://codecan.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2h8bz76uxsm?preview=1.
For more information about CODE, visit www.code.ngo
All applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all candidates for their applications; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CODE welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply for this job please visit codecan.applicantstack.com.