Location: Montreal Office
Reports to: Director of Education
Status: Permanent and full time, 35 hours/per week
Application deadline: May 24, 2022
Salary Scale: $64.400 – $76.149
Equitas is a Canadian non-profit organization dedicated to advancing equality, social justice and respect for human dignity in Canada and around the world through human rights education.
Reporting to the Director of Education, the Knowledge Manager is responsible for leading the development and implementation of Equitas’ knowledge strategy aligned with Equitas’ strategic plan. The main function of the Knowledge Manager is to help champion organization-wide knowledge building, management and sharing, so that the organization’s know-how, information and experience is shared inside and (as appropriate) outside the organization with human rights educators, partners, and other stakeholders.
S/he provides leadership to Equitas program teams and internal communities of practice to realize Equitas’ knowledge building and sharing results. S/he leads coordination, monitoring coaching linked to Equitas’ know-how and emerging trends in human rights education. S/he contributes is also responsible for developing knowledge management tools and processes that help Equitas meet knowledge objectives and reinforce the organization’s strategic vision in this area.
Tasks and main Responsibilities
- Knowledge development
- Lead the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the organizational knowledge strategy, in collaboration with Director of Education.
- Lead the development of the annual organizational knowledge and communication result in collaboration with Director of Communication
- Collaborate with the Senior Education Specialist responsible for online learning and the Communications and Community Officer to implement and ensure the coherence of Equitas’ online strategy and the Equitas’ online communities of practice.
- Provide strategic guidance and support for the establishment, nurturing and promotion of communities of practice (both internally and on the Equitas online ecosystem)
- Support the project teams to develop, implement and evaluate knowledge related results in their annual plans Provide content expertise in the development of specific knowledge-related activities as required (e.g. IHRTP, good practices, activities at national level when necessary, etc.)
- Identify opportunities for partnerships with academic institutions and other knowledge partners to reinforce research-based practice into Equitas’ approach to HRE
- Build a network of strategic relationships in Canada and overseas, in support of the knowledge strategy including, Canadian and other government officials, international institutions and coalitions, resource people, funders, as well as key allies and stakeholders
2. Knowledge management
- Lead the design and effective implementation of common knowledge management processes, standards and tools for use across the organization
- Stay current about knowledge transfer and exchange methods and practices as well as of emerging human rights issues and trends in human rights education (HRE) to inform the knowledge strategy and content
- Provide coaching, training and support to Equitas staff to enhance Equitas’ knowledge management
- Share experiences across communities of practice, and program and project teams, on innovative approaches in knowledge sharing, including preparation of case studies
- Lead the documentation and implementation of good practices in HRE at Equitas
- Working in close collaboration with the Programs Manager, promote knowledge sharing through the organization’s operational business processes and systems by, among others, strengthening links between knowledge building and sharing and information systems (e.g. Microsoft SharePoint, Teams, Moodle platform)
3. Knowledge sharing
- Oversee the development and implementation of communications strategies connected to sharing knowledge internally and externally, in close collaboration with the Director of Education and the Director of Communications and Fund Development
- Supporting the organization of knowledge sharing events such as EquiTalks, knowledge fairs, site visits, interviews and maintaining communications on knowledge sharing across the organization
- Oversee the strategic direction and maintenance of the Equitas database, in collaboration with the Communications and Fund Development team.
- Facilitate Equitas representation / participation in networks, workshops, conferences, with the media, as required
4. Resource Management
- Coordinate the development of an annual training plan for Equitas staff in collaboration with the Director of Education, the Sr People and Culture manager and the Management Team.
- Lead development and delivery of the annual staff retreat, in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Identify professional development opportunities for staff in line with broader organizational needs and priorities.
- Develop budget related to knowledge deliverables, in collaboration with the Program teams.
5. Support Organizational Activities and Processes
- Actively participate in the Program Steering Committee – support the PSC in monitoring the scope, quality, schedule and cost of the portfolio of programs, including working with directors and program/project leads to review and assure delivery of all knowledge related strategy and program/project deliverables.
- Contribute to development of project proposals, in particular on the knowledge building and sharing pieces.
- Provide support to and participate in meetings of the Board Program Committee as required.
- Participate as member of the IT committee.
- Perform other duties as determined in consultation with the Director of
- Great drive and commitment to Equitas’ mission, vision and values; ability to inspire others to do so as well;
- Education: preferably Master’s degree in Social Science, Education or Instructional Design, Management or other related disciplines;
- At least 7 years’ work experience with proven track record and exposure to knowledge building and sharing, and/or capacity development;
- Proven experience in learning and knowledge sharing: open to new ideas; shares own knowledge; applies knowledge in daily work; builds partnerships for learning and knowledge sharing;
- Proven experience in instructional education design, including online training;
- Knowledge and understanding of human rights, human rights education, and/or social justice issues in Canada and/or overseas;
- Good knowledge and skills in performance assessment and evaluation;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in both of Canada’s official languages (English and French) and excellent report writing skills in at least one of them;
- Ability to get consensus and collaboration across many different teams; ability to explain complex concepts in layperson’s language;
- Computer literate in database management and Microsoft applications;
- Ability to travel up to 3 times a year for an average of 7 to 10 days at a time, if required.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com