- This event has passed.
Collaborating During COVID: We’re Better Together
October 15 @ 1:00 pm - 2:15 pm EDT$99
A Workshop Series with Dr. Charlotte Young of Envision Synergy
Among the many lessons from our current world situation, COVID has re-affirmed that extensive collaboration is not only possible, but essential for solving complex problems. Consider, for instance, the efforts of different levels of government working together or scientists dropping their competitive mindsets to work together to find a vaccine for COVID-19. As ENGOs, we’ve often worked with other ENGOs, but not necessarily far beyond that.
The time is now to work together as never before. We need expertise from many perspectives, and new and non-traditional partners to appropriately adjust our pre-COVID course (the right “people”). We must, as many have said for ages, “get out of our silos” and have a bigger view of the elements of the system and their interconnections (shared “purpose”). And, we must work together in civil, respectful and co-creative ways (good process).
This series of workshops will provide a structure for working together. If you’re experienced at collaboration, it will reinforce good practice and help you add a tool or two to your toolkit. If you’re new to thinking about collaboration and working together, you’ll have a framework for getting started (people-purpose-process) and an understanding of essential factors to consider.
As a result of participating in these workshops you will:
- Increase your understanding of the three essential elements of collaboration
- Have tools to guide you in assessing each element (people, purpose, process)
- Be able to define “give-get” thinking
- Expand your thinking about potential partners
- Learn possible solutions to address some common pitfalls in collaborative efforts
- Be able to name at least one specific consideration for on-line collaborative efforts
Cost: $99 for 3 sessions
Includes access to a recording (same day) of each workshop and presentation slides so you can catch up even if you have to miss a live session or simply review material at your leisure.
Please note, all registrants will receive a confirmation email from Eventbrite and a link to join the Zoom Meeting. You’ll be invited to participate fully ie. to activate your camera throughout and unmute during discussions.
Thursday, October 15th from 1:00-2:15 PM ET
- A context for the types of collaboration we’re talking about
- An overview of the three element framework of collaboration
- A description of the notion of “purpose” including examples of good and poor purposes
- An overview of common mistakes regarding “purpose”
- Increased awareness of implications for “purpose” when we’re working on line
Session 2: Where should we be going?
October 22nd from 1:00-2:15 PM ET
- A refresher on the three element framework
- A description of the “people” aspect of the framework
- An exploration of kinds of partners ENGOs can stretch to
- A list of desired personal characteristics of potential collaborators
- Increased awareness of implications for choosing and working with partners on-line
Thursday, October 29th from 1:00-2:15 PM ET
Participants will leave this session with:
- An understanding of what is “process” and how it links with “purpose” and “people”
- A typology of potential structural arrangements
- Examples of effective ground rules
- Increased understanding of common challenges with setting up effective “process” and potential ways to manage them.
About the Presenter
As a seasoned collaboration and organizational specialist, Charlotte Young, Ph.D., designs and leads participatory problem solving and visual thinking sessions that promote a sustainable, healthy, respectful world.